Dr. Giorgos Artopoulos
Lecturer of Architecture
Telephone: +357 2684 3510
Dr. Giorgos Artopoulos holds a Master of Philosophy in Architecture and the Moving Image (University of Cambridge, UK, 2004) and a PhD, with a Doctoral Award from the Arts and Humanities Research Council, UK, conducted at the Department of Architecture, University of Cambridge (2005-2010). Dr. Giorgos Artopoulos won the 2nd prize in the International Architectural Competition for the Urban Park of Palourokambos in Latsia, Nicosia, Cyprus 2012, organized by the Municipality of Latsia, Nicosia and his design work was presented in books and the ‘International Biennale of Contemporary Art’, Czech National Gallery (Prague), the International Exhibition ‘Computational Turn in Architecture’, MAV (Marseille), the Hong Kong and Shenzhen Bi-City Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism, the ‘Biennale of Young Creators of Europe’, ‘La Biennale di Venezia’ (Venice), the Royal Institute of British Architects (London), the Byzantine Museum (Athens, Greece), the British Council (Brussels), the Architectural Association (London) and in many international conferences of architecture and art exhibitions. Dr. Giorgos Artopoulos has lectured at the School of Media Arts, Catholic University of Porto (Portugal), Goldsmiths College (University of London, UK), Manchester School of Architecture (University of Manchester), ENSA Paris-Malaquais and other Universities. Dr. Giorgos Artopoulos is co-founder of ‘ArtIac architects’ and has practiced architecture in Greece and Cyprus.
- 2005-2010 Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Architecture, University of Cambridge
- 2003-2004 Master of Philosophy in ‘Architecture and the Moving Image,’ Department of Architecture, University of Cambridge
- 1996-2002 Diploma and MSc: Faculty of Technology, School of Architecture at Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece
- 2011 School of the Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University
- 2009-2010 Research Assistant, University of Melbourne
- 2004-2010 Digital design Tutor, Department of Architecture, University of Cambridge
- 2004-2008 Research Assistant, Department of Architecture, University of Cambridge
- 2001, 2003 Research Assistant, School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS / RESEARCH
- G. Artopoulos and N. Bakirtzis, ‘Virtual Environments of Contested Urban Space: Mapping the Spatial Experience of Heritage in Divided Historic Cities,’ in Journal of Architecture_Media_Politics_Society (refereed) (ISSN 2050-9006) (forthcoming).
- G. Artopoulos, ‘Prototype Spatial Models of Interaction,’ in peer-reviewed International Journal Of Visual Design, CG Publishers, Vol. 6 (3) (ISSN 1833-1874), 2012, pp. 39-56.
- G. Artopoulos, ‘experimental design work,’ in Matt Bua and Maximilian Goldfarb (eds), Architectural Inventions (UK: Lawrence King Publisher, Spring 2012).
- G. Artopoulos and Popi Iacovou, ‘Play-ground,’ in Marisa Yiu and Eric Schuldenfrei (eds), Instant Culture, (HK: mccmcreations, 2011).
- G. Artopoulos, (Chapter 9) ‘An architect’s view into the design and life of dynamic environments for the performing arts’ in Alan Short, Geometry and Atmosphere (UK: Ashgate Publishers, 2011).
- G. Artopoulos, ‘House of Affects –Time, immersion and play in digital design for spatially experienced interactive narrative,’ in Ph. Morel (Ed.), Computational Turn in Architecture, (Orleans, France: HyX Editions), (forthcoming).
- G. Artopoulos, M. Konstantoglou, P. Iacovou, with V. Tentokali, ‘Meta-morphosis in the spatial dis-continuity of Berlin,’ in the book of the Greek Association of Semiotics Transculture, Globalization and Identities, eds, E. Hontolidou, G. Pashalides, K. Tsoukala, A. Lazarides (Greece: Gutenberg, 2008), pp. 135-40.
- G. Artopoulos and S. Roudavski, ‘A performative Situation: Prague Biennale Pavilion,’ article in Interfaces, quarterly periodical of British HCI Group, vol. 68 (2006), pp. 10-13.
- G. Artopoulos and E. Condorcet, ‘House of Affects – Time, immersion and play in digital design for spatially experienced interactive narrative,’ in Digital Creativity Journal, vol 17, 4, (2006), pp. 213-20.
- G. Artopoulos, ‘Processes of synthesis in computational design,’ in SCROOPE Cambridge Architecture Journal, vol 18 (2006), pp. 152-59.