Dr. Nikolaos P. Bakas
Lecturer (s.t.s.) in Architecture and Real Estate
Telephone: +357 2684 3512
Dr. Nikolaos P. Bakas is a lecturer (s.t.s.) at Neapolis University Pafos. He received his doctorate degree in optimal design of structures in the Statics and Earthquake Research Laboratory of the National Technical University of Athens, under the supervision of the laboratory director, Professor Manolis Papadrakakis, with three year scholarship by the National Foundation. In 2005 he completed his Master diploma at NTUA in Structural Design and Analysis of Structures with excellent. In April 2003 he completed his undergraduate studies first (4.5 years). The Diploma thesis on the dynamic analysis of three dimensional structures in space with Boundary Elements was awarded by the Hellenic Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. His research interests are in numerical structural analysis methods (finite elements with nonlinearities of geometry and material), genetic optimization algorithms, neural networks and computational techniques. The structural design criterion against torsion he proposed, was recently found to have> 95% correlation with the traditional criteria, using optimization tools and applications in structural design software of the professional practice of Structural Engineering, making it the sole criterion of realistic quantification of the stresses due to torsion both for the assessment and the design, providing a solution to the open for decades problem of torsion both in research and professional practice.
In 2008 Dr. Nikolaos P. Bakas founded Engineering Intelligence, an educational organization for engineers, developed in ten cities of Greece with 70 educational syllabus and 5000 trained professional engineers. He is also Scientific Director of GSI supplier of software for static analysis and design SAP2000 and ETABS. His work in practical optimization algorithms in professional software evaluated in 2013 by the President of CSI at Berkeley with honors. At Neapolis University teaches courses [CONS201] Building Pathology, [CONS101] Construction Technology I, [CONS102] Construction Technology II, [ARCH510] Dissertation, [ARCHT09] Advanced Methods of Construction and new materials, [ARCHT03] Reinforced Concrete Structures. In parallel with the educational and research activities in Neapolis, he was scientific person of the Research Program Eco Cement, for which he calculated the optimal mixing of eco cement ingredients, regarding the compressive strength test as evaluation criterion, the results of which were included in the European Commission’s success stories and published by scientific broadcast futuris of Euronews. He is also a research associate at the Research Program of Neapolis Pro-Industry on the seismic isolation of mega structures and partners the polytechnic schools of Pisa, Milan etc.
More information on the research and professional activities of Dr. Nikolaos P. Bakas can be found here http://www.noesys.net/
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS / RESEARCH
- Lagaros, Nikolaos D., Manolis Papadrakakis, and Nikolaos Bakas. “Automatic minimization of the rigidity eccentricity of 3D reinforced concrete buildings.”Journal of earthquake engineering 10.04 (2006): 533-564.
- Lagaros, Nikos D., Nikolaos Bakas, and Manolis Papadrakakis. “Optimum design approaches for improving the seismic performance of 3D RC buildings.” Journal of Earthquake Engineering 13.3 (2009): 345-363.
- Ch.C. Mitropoulou, N.P. Bakas, M. Papadrakakis, Advances in design optimization of reinforced concrete structural systems, in Computational Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, M. Papadrakakis, D.C. Charmpis, N.D. Lagaros and Y. Tsompanakis (Eds.), Taylor & Francis, (November 2008).
- Ch. Stathi, N.P. Bakas, N.D. Lagaros, M. Papadrakakis, “Ratio of Torsion: A new index for assessing torsional effect on structural behavior”, Earthquakes and Structures, (accepted), 2015.
- Bakas, Nikolaos, and Manolis Papadrakakis, Correlation of shear center with ratio of torsion using genetic algorithms in size structural optimization”NEAPOLIS UNIVERSITY OF PAPHOS (NUP) working paper.”
- Nikolaos Bakas and Manolis Papadrakakis, Assessment of design approaches for multi-storey RC buildings under earthquake loading, using evolutionary optimization algorithms,8th HSTAM International Congress on Mechanics,Patras,12 – 14 July, 2007
- Nikolaos Bakas*, and Manolis Papadrakakis, Assessment of code’s torsional provisions using evolutionary optimization algorithms, COMPDYN 2007Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Rethymno, Crete, Greece,13-16 June 2007