Dr Thomas Nektarios Papanastasiou
Assistant Professor in Law
Telephone: +357 2684 3329
He holds a doctorate (PhD) in International Investment Law (Waseda University, Tokyo), a Master’s degree (MA) in International Relations (Waseda University, Graduate School of Asian Pacific Studies), Master’s degree (LL.M) in Civil Procedure (Law School, University of Athens) and a law degree (LL.B) (Kapodistrian University of Athens).
Mr Papanastasiou is an attorney licensed to practice from the Athens Bar Association (since March 2005). He worked in international organizations, such as a consultant to the World Bank for revisiting the legal framework in the power sector, and project finance for energy investments, as a trainee at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) on issues of Public Private Partnerships (PPPs), and on a development program for the Japan Bank for International Co-operation (JBIC) to Manila (Philippines).
He also worked on research and consulting firms in Tokyo (Japan), such as for the Mitsubishi Research Institute (MRI), the Waseda University Organisation for Japan-US Studies (WOJUSS), and the Tokyo Centre for Economic Research (TCER), having gained legal experience in the analysis of international trade and investment agreements.
International Economic Law with a focus on international investment agreements, the promotion and protection of foreign investments, Energy Law, Public International Law, Human Rights Law, International Organizations / International Relations.
His thesis titled “The Legal Protection of Foreign Investments against Political Risk: The Case of Japanese Investments in the Power Sector of Asian Countries” was awarded the prize “Argyrios Fatouros-2013” by the International Law Association, as the best thesis by a young researcher in the field of International Economic Law (http://ilahellenic.gr/announcements/101-the-2013-fatouros-prize).
Scholarship recipient from the Japanese Government (Ministry of Education-Monbusho, 2004-2010)
- Representing Law School in the negotiations with distinguished British Universities about future partnership
- 21.3.2018: Opening remarks in the lecture of the former President of the House of Representatives Mr Yiannakis Omirou on “the Treaty of Guarantee on the Cyprus Solution Framework”
- 10.3.2018. Interview regarding Turkish ambitions in the Cyprus EEZ on Crete TV
- Interview at Radio Pafos on the recent energy developments in the South-East Mediterranean Sea and the role of International Law
- 7/10/2017: Coordination and opening remarks in the conference that the Law School and the Paphos Municipality organized on the importance of protecting and promoting Cultural Heritage
- Successful negotiation with the Embassy of Japan for the inclusion of Neapolis University into the international scholarship program of the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- “ΕΕΖ: The key to geopolitics”. Interview of Thomas Papanastasiou, as. Professor of the Law School at KRITI TV
- Guest of KRITI TV of Heraklion, in order to inform students about the academic programs of Neapolis University
- June 2017: Interview of Thomas Papanastasiou at Radio Paphos with the journalist Panikos Evripides
- March 2017: Interview of Thomas Papanastasiou at Radio Paphos with the journalist Lydia Kyriakides
- Guest of ΝEA TILEORASI TV in order to inform students about the academic programs of Neapolis University
- Time must be given to study the plan for the solution of the Cypriot Problem by Thomas Nektarios Papanastasiou
- Interview of Thomas Papanastasiou at Radio Paphos with the journalist Lydia Kyriakides
- The former Deputy Secretary – General of the United Nations, Dr. Sotirios Mousouris gave a speech on “The United Nations Peacekeeping Operations: Struggle and Diversion” at the University
- Students of the LLM program visited special areas of the Larnaca Port
- His Excellency the Japanese Ambassador, Mr Masuo Nishibayashi delivered a lecture on the subject of “The Japan – Cyprus Relations: Political and Economic Prospects”
- Reception for the delegates of the International Arbitration Conference
- Visit to the central prisons
- Open Lecture on “Illegal trafficking of cultural objects” at the University
- Photo from the visit of his All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in Fanari
- Participation of prof. Stelios Perrakis and Lecturer Thomas Papanastasiou at Radio Paphos
- The lecturer of the Law Faculty, Thomas Nektarios Papanastasiou, guest CAPITAL TV
- Organized Workshop in Nicosia
- Japanese anthropologist of the United Nations University gave lecture at Neapolis
- Participation in an open discussion