Greek Language School
Main Objectives of the Greek Language School
The main objective of the Greek Language (G.L.S) is the teaching of the Greek language to non-native residents in Cyprus. Therefore the school follows some actions that aim to:
- The dissemination of Greek language and the Greek – Cypriot culture and their timeless values
- Strengthen and maintain the links with the Greeks of Diaspora
- The reinforcement and enrichment of teaching methodology by creating seminars for the Greek language as a foreign one and seminars of counseling, teaching and linguistic content
- Organize workshops and conferences on teaching language and culture
- Design of teaching material and language textbooks for learning Greek as a second / foreign language.
To the teaching programs of the Greek Language School are able to attend:
- Students of European Educational Programs like Erasmus students.
- Foreign Undergraduate, Postgraduate and PhD candidate students of Neapolis University Pafos.
- Students of foreign Universities which have concluded academic cooperation Protocols with Neapolis University Pafos.
- Expatriates, foreigners and foreigners married to Cypriot citizens, who have completed at least secondary education and
have a residence permit in Cyprus, which will be valid until the end of the program that they wish to attend.
- Foreigners who live in Cyprus and for which the Certification of attaining learning of the Greek language is a prerequisite for their access to the labor market.
- Adults regardless race, religion, nationality who love the Greek language and the Greek – Cypriot culture.
- Adults who wish to improve their level of Greek language or trained in terminology based on their work activities.
- Students above the age of 12 years old.
Greek language Programs:
- Non intensive Greek Language Educational Programs ( 2 semesters/6 hrs per week)
- Intensive Greek language Educational Programs (2 semesters/15 hrs per week)
- Training programs under cooperation protocols with academic institutions and foundations
- Programs funded by governmental bodies following requests of interest and submission of proposals
* All Greek languages programs are taught weekly Monday to Friday during the afternoon.
Scientific and Teaching staff
The experienced academic staff of the School, offers the opportunity to learn the Greek language in an easy and scientific way.
The scientific responsibility of the programs which are designed and implemented by the School of Greek Language, have the regular members of the School.
Along with the lessons of Greek as a foreign / second language, is also offered according to the current program, the ability of attending the lectures by members or nonmembers of the school or distinguished scientists on issues related to history, art, culture and traditions of the ancient, Hellenistic, Byzantine, modern and contemporary Greek era.
For the details regarding the programs as well as the tuition fees please contact the supervisor of the school at 0035726843331
Student welfare topics of the Greek Language School
The students of the Greek Language School are taught Greek as a foreign / second language after their integration into sections corresponding to the level of Greek language and their learning needs. For this purpose, at the opening day of each program, qualifying examinations take place with main aim to shape teaching sections depending on the language level of students.
At the Greek Language School there are different sections for all language levels: a) beginners (Α1 & Α2) b) medium (B1 & B2) c) advanced (C1 & C2) and follows the Common European Framework Reference for Language by the Council of Europe.
Modern textbooks are selected according to the educational needs of each program and the communicative method of teaching is enhanced by the use of new technologies.
Students are given the opportunity to attend remedial teaching classes either in group or individually. Studies in Greek language and Greek culture are completed by the library-reading room study and the access of each student to the media labs. For teaching purposes, the School provides the teachers and students with audiovisual material which will be accessible on the online platform (Moodle). Neapolis University supports the Greek language teaching and culture programs by giving the students the ability of free access to the below:
- Central Library
- Student Identity
- Student discounts
- Sport facilities
- Student cafeteria / restaurant
And the possibility of cooperation with student organizations and clubs.
Lecture attendance certificates
The Greek Language School, gives a certificate of attendance to all students of each program.
In addition, for the Erasmus students, the certificate of participation in courses of the Greek language, follows the ECTS system and complies with the conditions 1ECTS / 30 hours of teaching, participation in lectures and seminars.
Examination of the Greek Language Certificate
If the students wish, after the completion of the courses, they may take the Greek language exam of the Examination’ Service of the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture. Students who manage to succeed, are given Performance Certificates, mentioning their final grades and the language proficiency level.