Greek Language School
Main Objectives of the Greek Language School
The main objective of the Greek Language (G.L.S.) is the teaching of the Greek language to non-native residents in Cyprus. Therefore the school follows some actions that aim to:
- The dissemination of Greek language and the Greek – Cypriot culture and their timeless values
- Strengthen and maintain the links with the Greeks of Diaspora
- The reinforcement and enrichment of teaching methodology by creating seminars for the Greek language as a foreign one and seminars of counseling, teaching and linguistic content
- Organize workshops and conferences on teaching language and culture
- Design of teaching material and language textbooks for learning Greek as a second / foreign language.
The target group of the Greek Language School is:
- Students of European Educational Programs like Erasmus students.
- Foreign Undergraduate, Postgraduate and PhD candidate students of Neapolis University Pafos.
- Students of foreign Universities which have concluded academic cooperation Protocols with Neapolis University Pafos.
- Expatriates, foreigners and foreigners married to Cypriot citizens, who have completed at least secondary education and
have a residence permit in Cyprus, which will be valid until the end of the program that they wish to attend.
- Foreigners who live in Cyprus and for which the Certification of attaining learning of the Greek language is a prerequisite for their access to the labor market.
- Adults regardless race, religion, nationality who love the Greek language and the Greek – Cypriot culture.
- Adults who wish to improve their level of Greek language or trained in terminology based on their work activities.
- Students above the age of 12 years old.
Greek language Programs:
- Non intensive Greek Language Educational Programs (2 semesters/6 hrs per week)
- Intensive Greek language Educational Programs (2 semesters/15 hrs per week)
- Training programs in cooperation with academic institutions and foundations
- Programs funded by governmental bodies following requests of interest and submission of proposals
* All Greek language programs are taught Monday to Friday in the afternoon.
Scientific and Teaching staff
The experienced academic staff of the School offers the opportunity to learn Greek in an easy and scientific way.
Full-time members of the School’s staff are responsible to run the programs offered by the School.
Along with attending the lessons of Greek as a foreign / second language one may also attend university lectures by members or non-members of the School or other distinguished academics on issues related to history, art, culture and traditions of the ancient, Hellenistic, Byzantine, modern and contemporary Greek era.
For the details regarding the programs as well as the tuition fees please contact the supervisor of the School at 0035726843331
Student welfare topics of the Greek Language School
The students of the Greek Language School are taught Greek as a foreign / second language according to their level of Greek and their learning needs. For this purpose, at the opening day of each program, qualifying examinations take place in order for the staff to be able to classify students according to their language level.
At the Greek Language School there are different classes for all language levels: a) beginners (Α1 & Α2) b) medium (B1 & B2) c) advanced (C1 & C2), following the Common European Framework Reference for Language by the Council of Europe.
Modern textbooks are selected according to the educational needs of each program and the communicative method of teaching is enhanced by the use of new technologies.
Students are given the opportunity to attend remedial teaching classes either in group or individually. Studies in Greek language and Greek culture are enhanced by the study of related material in the Library’s reading room and the access to the media labs. For teaching purposes, the School provides the teachers and students with audiovisual material which will be accessible on the online platform (Moodle). Neapolis University supports the Greek language teaching and culture programs by giving the students free access to the following services:
- Central Library
- Student Identity
- Student discounts
- Sport facilities
- Student cafeteria / restaurant
And the possibility of cooperation with student organizations and clubs.
Lecture attendance certificates
The Greek Language School gives a certificate of attendance to all students of each program.
In addition, for the Erasmus students, the certificate of participation in courses of the Greek language, follows the ECTS system and complies with the system 1ECTS / 30 hours of teaching, participation in lectures and seminars.
Examination for the Greek Language Certificate
If the students wish, after the completion of the courses, they may take the Greek language exam of the Examination’ Service of the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture. Students who pass the exam, are awarded Performance Certificates, which report their final grades and the language proficiency level.