Prof. Antonis Manitakis
Professor of Law
Dean of Faculty of Law and Social Sciences
Telephone: +357 2684 3503
Prof. Antonis Manitakis has done his Degree in Law, in the Faculty of Law, Aristotle Univercity of Thessaloniki. (mark: first class honours) in 1967 and his Diploma in Comparative Law at the Université Libre des Bruxelles and State University of New York in the years 1968. He was licence speciale en Droit Administratif (LL.M. in Administrative Law) with great distinction in 1970. Prof. Manitakis has made his PhD in Law at the Université Libre de Bruxelles, with distinction in the year 1973.
- 1982- 2011: Full-tenure Professor of Constitutional Law, Teaching Specialisation: Constitutional Law, Civil Liberties, Judicial Review of Legislation Theory of State.
- 1986-1987 (an academic year): Faculty of Law, University of Montpellier (France);
- March 1988: Faculty o Law, University of Saint-Etienne,
- February 1989: Faculty of Law, University of Paris X (France);
- March 1994: Faculty of Law, University of Rome “La Sapienza” (Italy);
- October 1998-February 99: visiting research- fellow in Princeton University of USA;
- March 2002: Nantes, France. Montpellier 2000-2010: Université d’été, Droit Constitutionnel Européen, France
- 1989-1990: Head of the Department of Public Law and Political Science.
- 1989-1991: Dean of the Law Faculty, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. 2004-2011: Director of the Post-graduate Department of the Law’ s Faculty of the Thessaloniki
Prof. Antonis Manitakis was a visiting research fellow in Princeton University in the years 1998-99. Research fellow of the Belgium Inter-university Centre of Public Law (Centre Inter-uninersite de Droit Public) 1969-1974. Academic Director of several research programs funded by the GreeK State on the subjects of “Modernisation of the Civil services and The Rule of Law”, “The welfare state Rule of Law principle”, “The rights of students”, “The protection of minors from television”, The constitution of Europe and the Greek Constitution, (2002), The judicial Review of legislation in Europe and in USA, 2006.
Prof. Antonis Manitakis was Vice President of the Radio and Television National Council (Indipendent Public Authority) 1997-1999.Vice President of the Board of Directors of the National Theatre of Nothern Greece, 1993-1994.President and vice- President of the National Committee of Human Rights (2011-2012, member since 1999)
Ministεr of Interior and Administrative Reform May 2012- June 2013
- President of Manessis’ association of Greek constitutionalists (NGO) since 2001-.Regular member of the French Association of Comparative Law.
- Member of the Editorial Committee of the Public law Journal “Syntagma”.Member of the International Association of Constitutional Law.
- La libertè du commerce et de l’industrie en droit belge et en droit français, (in French), Bruxelles, Bruylant, 1979, 332 pp(in French),
- The holders of constitutional rights according to article 25 &1 of the Hellenic Constitution, Thessaloniki : Sakkoulas 1981, 330 pp (in Greek),
- Rule of Law and Judicial Review of Legislation, Vol. I, Thessaloniki: Sakkoulas, 1994, 450 pp (in Greek),
- Constitutional Interpretation and the Functioning of Government, Athens: Ant. Sakkoulas 1996, 256 pp (in Greek),
- The constitutional timing of the transition to Democracy (in Greek), Athens: Exantas 1997, 327 pp (in Greek),
- The relations between Nation-State and Church under the shadow of the ID-cards, Athens: Nefeli 2000, 195 pp (in Greek),
- Constitutional Organisation of the State (state, nation, sovereignty, globalisation), Thessaloniki: Sakkoulas 2001, 195 pp (in Greek),
- Hellenic Constitutional Law, Thessaloniki: Sakkoulas 2004, 525 pp (in Greek),
- The “Constitution” of Europe facing national and people’s sovereignty, Athens: Papazisis 2004, 105 pp (in Greek),
- The constitutional organisation of the State: Sakkoulas, Athens, 2009, (in Greek),
- Three text-books: on ‘The Constitution’, ‘The State’ and ‘The political regime’: Sabbalas, Athens, 2009, .
Others 130 publications in different scientific reviews, journals or books, in Greek or in French, on juridical matters