The MA in Digital Video Production is an innovative, exclusive program for students who are interested in using video image for their personal, academic or professional needs. Hosted under the School of Architecture, the overall aim is to enrich the... Read More | Share it now!
MA in Digital Video Production
The program MA in Digital Video Production (DVP) offers a conventional full-time postgraduate study. The DVP program combines the academic rigour of a traditional film studies course with research and practical components. The DVP program provides an insight into the endless technological and creative possibilities of filmmaking. Research and information literacy are vital skills which are introduced carefully in year one and continually enhanced so that students are capable of designing independent research projects by the end of the program (e.g. digital thesis video). Students also improve their levels of critical self-awareness or “personal literacy” by engaging with a variety of group assessment tasks from pitching a screenplay idea to organizing their own short film using the latest available technologies. Throughout the duration of the programme students will have the opportunity to engage with the creative nature of filmmaking and develop the theoretical and practical skills required for a whole range of career possibilities.
Duration of Studies
1.5 years (3 Academic Semesters)
Master of Arts (MA) in Digital Video Production
90 ECTS to completion
Language of Instruction
The Concept of the “total filmmaker”
- The MA in Digital Video Production has a rigid and specific design that promotes the steady growth of fundamental filmmaking skills, in the context of new film technologies and production strategies.
- A fast-paced, digital filmmaking economy, means that new models of independent production and distribution are required. This novel digital video professional, or “total filmmaker”, requires a mixture of technical knowledge and skills, such as: film budgeting, production company management, social media marketing, legal consultation.
- The MA in Digital Video Production program at NUP is uniquely designed to address all of these essential needs for the contemporary cinematographer, more commonly known as: the “total filmmaker”.
Goals of the Programme
- Evaluate the progress and process of their video ideas through mentorship, group presentations and critiques.
- Investigate standard independent models of video production that apply to a variety of commercial and creative situations.
- Generate independent and unique approaches that will develop their own artistic and professional practices.
- Analyse both historical and contemporary models of the film and video industries.
- Develop practical creative thinking skills developed through group lab work and collaborative discipline.
- Develop the proper vocabulary used in professional and creative video production communities.
- Communicate individual creative or professional interests through guided exploration into preparation and practice strategies of video production.
- Employ effective demonstration of techniques towards their own work.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of visual techniques applied to their thesis video film or assignments.
- Create video projects outside of class.
Key Learning Outcomes
The overall learning outcome for students completing the MA in Digital Video Production is to develop a broad understanding of the theory and practice of Digital filmmaking. At the end of the degree students shall therefore have:
- the ability to think laterally, critically, innovatively, creatively, and to make connections among diverse fields of study in analysing problems related to Digital Video production setup and operation.
- a global perspective based on an understanding of both the technical and managerial issues related to the filmmaking industry at large.
- the ability to apply their technical knowledge to current digital filmmaking systems.
- the ability to critically evaluate and work within new technological developments in the area of digital filmmaking.
- the ability to lead and to interact effectively in group production situations and to manage in culturally diverse environments.
- the experience in applying technical and theoretical methods to research questions related to the digital thesis video and relevant digital production models.
- the substantial competency in digital video filmmaking analysis and production, and in management and administration techniques related to these areas.
- the skills related to critical thinking and autonomous learning.
- the communication, and teamwork skills through workshop based studio courses.
Opportunities for Interdisciplinary Teaching and Research
- Expose students to interdisciplinary design research methodologies that shift their perspective and multiply the lenses through which they study spatial questions.
- Introduce contemporary creative approaches based on visual methodologies for design research leading to a higher degree in education (MA and PhD).
- Engage with external places or sites to create links outside the academic environment that will enable the contribution to societal, cultural and social issues of the city of Paphos, Cyprus or, even the Middle East and Africa.
- Provide to graduate students of architecture with the opportunity to pursue alternative research-based and professional careers that are at the forefront of contemporary theory and practice (architectural animations, computer vision, documentaries and films)
The Course Structure of the MA in Digital Video Production is as follows:
|DVP301||DIGITAL VIDEO STUDIO I||10.0|
|DVP302||POST-PRODUCTION LAB I||5.0|
|DVP305||DIGITAL VIDEO STUDIO II||10.0|
|DVP307||POST PRODUCTION LAB II||5.0|
|DVP313||THESIS FILM VIDEO PROJECT||30.0|
Electives for Semester 1 & 2
|DVP309||CONTEMPORARY FILM: A THEORY, A HISTORY, A FLOOD||5.0|
|DVP313||ARCHITECTURE OF CINEMATIC TIME||5.0|
|DVP314||INTERNET STRATEGIES & MULTIMEDIA FUNDAMENTALS||5.0|
|MA – Digital Video Production (Requirements)||
Number of courses
|Final Digital Thesis Video||
Click here to see the Faculty of the MA in Digital Video Production