Dr. Marios Argyrides
Assistant Professor in Counseling Psychology
Telephone: +357 2684 3608
Dr. Marios Argyrides is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at Neapolis University and a Licensed Psychologist in Cyprus. He received a PhD in 2006 in Counseling Psychology from Tennessee State University and an MSc in 2002 in Applied Clinical Psychology from the University of South Alabama. He has worked as an intern at different counseling centers of universities including the University of South Alabama, Tennessee State University and Vanderbilt University. He completed his Pre-Doctoral Internship at Florida State University. His research interests are a) the effects of body image and mass media on disordered eating b) cross-cultural perceptual differences in ethnic identity, person perception, prejudice and aggression and c) gender differences and sexuality. He is also interested in the employment of different supervision models in supervising practicum students. He has worked as an instructor at Tennessee State University and as a visiting lecturer at public and private universities in Cyprus. He has also served as the Head of the Counseling Center at the University of Cyprus. He is an Associate Scientist in several research teams with several articles, professional presentations and specialized books published. He is a professional member of the Cyprus Psychological Association and the American Psychological Association.
- 2006 PhD in Counseling Psychology Tennessee State University, Nashville, USA
- 2002 MSc in Applied Clinical Psychology University of South Alabama, Mobile, USA
- 2000 BA in Psychology (Cum Laude) University of South Alabama, Mobile, USA
- 2009 -2011 Head of Counseling Center, University of Cyprus, Cyprus
- 2008 -2010 Adjunct Lecturer, University of Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2007- 2009 Adjunct Lecturer, European University Cyprus, Cyprus
- 2002- 2005 Instructor, Tennessee State University, Nashville, USA
- 2006-Today Counseling Psychologist in Private Practice, Cyprus
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS / RESEARCH
- Moore, K.A., Alexi, N.A., & Argyrides, M. (2016, in press). Psychometric properties of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression Scale (CES-D) – Greek Version. Hellenic Journal of Psychology.
- Argyrides, M., & Sivitanide, M. (2016, in press). Body image, self-esteem, media, disordered eating and actual ideal weight discrepancy: findings in Cyprus. European Journal of Counselling Psychology.
- Argyrides, M., & Kkeli, N. (2015). Validation of the factor structure of the Greek adaptation of the Situational Inventory of Body-Image Dysphoria – Short Form (SIBID-S). Eating and Weight Disorders – Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 20 (4), 491-496. doi: 10.1007/s40519-015-0194-z
- Argyrides, M., & Downey, J.L. (2015). Development and validation of the People Perspective Questionnaire. North American Journal of Psychology, 17, 233-244.
- Argyrides, M., Kkeli, N., & Kendeou, P. (2014). Validation of the factor structure of the Greek adaptation of the Sociocultural Attitudes Towards Appearance Questionnaire (SATAQ-3). Body Image, 11, 201-205. doi: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2014.02.003
- Argyrides, M. (2013). Ethnic identity, person perception and racism: A decade of changes in Cyprus. Hellenic Journal of Psychology, 10, 78-101.
- Argyrides, M., & Kkeli, N. (2013). Appearance Schemas Inventory – Revised: Psychometric Properties of the Greek Version in a Female Sample. North American Journal of Psychology, 15, 577-588.