Dr. Savvas Chatzichristofis
Associate Professor of informatics
Telephone: +357 2684 3341
Savvas A. Chatzichristofis pursued the Diploma and the Ph.D. degree (with honors) both from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece.
Currently, he serves as an Associate Professor at the School of Informatics at the Neapolis University Pafos (NUP), Cyprus. In past years, he has served as Adjunct Lecturer at Cyprus University of Technology (CUT), as well as a senior researcher at the Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CE.R.T.H.), Information Technologies Institute (I.T.I.). Moreover, he has served as a Visiting Professor for teaching and research cooperation at Institute for Information Technology (ITEC) at Klagenfurt University in Austria. During his career he has been involved in several EU FP6, FP7 and H2020 Research & Development projects as researcher, technical scientific manager and co-coordinator.
His research is mainly focused on Cybernetics and Artificial Intelligence together with their applications in the fields of Computer Vision, Multimedia/Multimodal Retrieval, Robotics, Optimization and Pattern Recognition (forensic and industrial applications). Savvas A. Chatzichristofis has over 10 years of solid experience on information technology, with emphasis on topics related to multimedia information retrieval systems and machine vision, reporting more than 70 publications in these fields. In total, these publications have accumulated more than 1900 citations as recorded by Google Scholar, giving an h-index of 19.
Furthermore, he has served as reviewer for scientific journals in the area of artificial intelligence, image processing and multimedia (e.g IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on Robotics etc.) as well as reviewer and member of program committees of several international conferences/workshops (e.g. IEEE IROS, IEEE ICRA etc.). Moreover, he has given numerous talks during conferences, at universities (as visiting professor), at schools and in the industry.
Over the course of his scholarly career, he received numerous grants and scholarships, including three best paper awards
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS / RESEARCH
- Kapoutsis, S. A. Chatzichristofis, L. Doitsidis, E. Kosmatopoulos, J. Sousa, J. Pinto and J. Braga, “REAL-TIME ADAPTIVE MULTI-ROBOT EXPLORATION WITH APPLICATION TO UNDERWATER MAP CONSTRUCTION”, «Autonomous Robots», Springer, Volume 40, Issue 6, August 2016, pp 987– 1015
- Kouskouridas., A. Amanatiadis, S. A. Chatzichristofis and A. Gasteratos, “WHAT, WHERE AND HOW? INTRODUCING POSE MANIFOLDS FOR INDUSTRIAL OBJECT MANIPULATION”, «Expert Systems with Applications», Volume 42, Issue 21, 30 November 2015, pp 8123–8133.
- Scaramuzza, M.C. Achtelik, L. Doitsidis, F. Fraundorfer, E.B. Kosmatopoulos, A. Martinelli, M.W. Achtelik, M. Chli, S. A. Chatzichristofis, et al., “VISION-CONTROLLED MICRO FLYING ROBOTS: FROM SYSTEM DESIGN TO AUTONOMOUS NAVIGATION AND MAPPING IN GPS-DENIED ENVIRONMENTS”, «IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine», IEEE, Volume 21, Issue 3, Sept. 2014, pp 26–40, IEEE.
- Amanatiadis, S. A. Chatzichristofis, K. Charalampous, L. Doitsidis, E. B. Kosmatopoulos, P. Tsalides, A. Gasteratos and S. Roumeliotis, “A MULTI-OBJECTIVE EXPLORATION STRATEGY FOR MOBILE ROBOTS UNDER OPERATIONAL CONSTRAINTS”, «IEEE Access», Volume 1, October 2013, pp 691–702, IEEE.
- Α. Chatzichristofis, C. Iakovidou, Y. S. Boutalis and O. Marques, “CO.VI.WO.: COLOR VISUAL WORDS BASED ON NON-PREDEFINED SIZE CODEBOOKS”, «IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics», Volume 43 (1), February 2013, pp. 192–205, IEEE