The main objective of the Masters programme in Counselling Psychology is to provide specialized knowledge in the aforementioned applied field of Psychology, while simultaneously educating the students with the intervention techniques used in the counselling process. The main goals of Counselling Psychology focus on promoting a healthier way of living through supporting individuals faced with difficulties in handling problematic situations and crises in their personal, educational, familial or occupational lives. Utilizing a wide range of modern theoretical and research-based approaches, the Programme in Counselling Psychology aims at satisfying the needs of the society by developing professionally trained individuals who will provide their services to a wide range of welfare and support services to individuals, couples, families, groups, the education system, organizations and other institutions.
The MSc in Counselling Psychology in particular, aims at the following:
- The expansion and consolidation of research-based knowledge that deals with life-span development and its relation to Counselling Psychology and its interventions.
- The expansion of the experience of researching and planning of appropriate evaluations and interventions in the counselling process.
- The realization of cultural, ethical and social parameters that play a vital role in the counselling process and research.
- The acquisition of counselling skills, techniques and procedures connected with the context of their application.
- The acquisition of skills pertaining to the diagnosis of disorders connected with the implementation of intervention techniques.
Upon successful completion of the Masters of Science in Counselling Psychology, the graduates will be able to:
- Identify the etiological factors that contribute to the emergence of the problem at hand.
- To choose the appropriate, culturally-sensitive, research-based, and well-thought techniques to approach the problem.
- To identify and investigate in a methodologically valid way issues related to the field.