Dr. John Bellos
Assistant Professor of Structural Design and Construction Technology
Telephone: +357 2684 3502
Dr. Bellos is an Assistant Professor of School of Architecture, Engineering, Land and Environmental Sciences at Neapolis University Pafos since 2010, and he is the director of the Civil Engineering Programme. He has also been the director of Information and Learning Services for more than four years and has participated in the development of its overall University’s technological infrastructure. Dr. Bellos has a Ph.D. in Structural Engineering and a MSc in Mechanical Engineering from S.U.N.Y. at Buffalo, USA, and a BSc in Naval Architecture & Mechanical Engineering from National Technical University of Athens, Greece. His research has focused on Structural Design, Structural Dynamics and Controls, Vibrations of Structures with Damping, Earthquake Response of Reinforced Concrete Buildings, Mathematical Models, Modal Analysis, Solid Mechanics, System Parameters Identification, Model Verification and Model Optimization. Dr. Bellos has several publications on his fields of research and has participated in several International Conferences on both sides of the Atlantic. Furthermore, with over 20 years of experience, he is an expert on the structural design of Reinforced Concrete Buildings complying with local and international Building Regulations.
- Sc. in Naval Architecture & Mechanical Engineering, NTUA, Greece, 1983.
- Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo, New York, 1986.
- D. in Structural Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo, New York, 1989.
Awards & Grants
- 1978-1983 Papastavridios Awards, NTU of Athens (given to the best students of each Academic Year).
- 1983 -1984 Research Foundation, State University of New York at Buffalo, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department.
- 1984 -1989 National Science Foundation, NASA, United States Air Force, Office of Scientific Research.
European Research Projects
Research Fund for Coal and Steel (RFCS) Project – PROINDUSTRY: “Seismic PROtection of INDUSTRial plants by enhanced steel based sYstems” – Managerial, consulting and research duties (525 working hours in total).
Professional AND Scientific Memberships
- Member of Technical Chamber of Greece (ΤΕΕ).
- Member of Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ΕΤΕΚ).
- Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Member of Research and Innovation Committee of Technical Chamber of Cyprus.
- Member of Cyprus Health and Safety Expert Committee in Construction Sector.
- Member of Cyprus National Expert Committee (for New Green Jobs and Skills).
- Scientific Expert for Certifying EnergyPerformance of Buildings in Cyprus.
- 1984-1989 Teaching/Scientific Associate in Advanced Dynamics, Structural Dynamics, Engineering Materials, Numerical Methods, CAD/CAM, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo.
- 1985-1986 Computer Lab Director, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo.
- 1986-1989 Research/Scientific Associate, Mechanical Systems Lab, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo.
- 1990-1991 Research/Scientific Associate, Shipbuilding Lab, Department of Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, National Technical University of Athens.
- 1991-2009 Research Director of the R&D department of the Engineering Software Company pi-SYSTEMS International SA.
- 2000-2009 Executive Board Member of the Engineering Software Company pi-SYSTEMS International SA, since 2000.
- 1993-2009 Director and owner of the Engineering Software Company BellSoft Ltd, since 1993.
- 2009-2012 Director of Information and Learning Services at Neapolis University Pafos.
- 2016-today Director of Civil Engineering Programme at Neapolis University Pafos.
- 2010-today Assistant Professor of Structural Design and Construction Technology at Neapolis University Pafos.
SELECTED AND RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Bellos, J. and Inman, D.J. (1989). Nature of Coupling in Non-conservative Lumped Parameter Systems. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 12(5), pp.751-753.
- Bellos, J. and Inman, D.J. (1989). A Survey On Nonproportional Damping. The Shock and Vibration Digest, 21(10), pp.7-12.
- Bellos, J. and Inman, D.J. (1990). Frequency Response of Nonproportionally Damped, Lumped Parameter, Linear Dynamic Systems. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 112(2), pp. 194-201.
- Inman, D.J., Umland J.W. and Bellos, J. (1990). Controlling Flexible Structures with second order Actuator Dynamics. Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Conference on Aerospace Computational Control, NASA, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 2, pp. 879-890, Pasadena.
- Κωνσταντινίδης, Α. and Μπέλλος, Ι. (2012). Αντισεισμικά Κτίρια από Οπλισμένο Σκυρόδεμα: Στατική και Δυναμική Ανάλυση σύμφωνα με τους Ευρωκώδικες. Τόμος Β, Αθήνα, Alta Grafico SA., ISBN: 978-960-85506-0-5.
- Bellos, J. (2012). Virtual Reality as a Decision Making Tool in Construction Management. Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Management Leadership and Governance, pp. 30-38, Cyprus.
- Konstantinides, A. and Bellos, J. (2013). Earthquake Resistant Buildings made of Reinforced Concrete: Static and Dynamic Analysis according to Eurocodes. Volume B, Athens, Alta Grafico SA, ISBN: 978-960-85506-0-5.
- Castiglioni, C.A., Kanyilmaz, A. and Bellos, J. (2015). Simplified Numerical Modeling of Elevated Silos for Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis. Proceedings of the XXV Congresso C.T.A., Salerno, Italy.
- Bakas, N., Bellos, J., Kanyilmaz, A. and Makridakis, S. (2016). Regression Analysis vs Genetic Algorithms: Computational Efficiency Assessment on the Design of PROINDUSTRY Project SSDC Isolators under Incremental Dynamic Loading. Proceeding of VII European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, Crete, Greece.
- Bellos, J. and Bakas, N. (2017). Complete Analytical Solution for Linear Soil Pressure Distribution under Rigid Rectangular Spread Footings. International Journal of Geomechanics, 17(7).
- Bellos J., Inman, D.J. and Bakas, N. (2017). Nature of Coupling in Non-conservative Distributed Parameter Systems Attached to External Damping Sources, Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, p.108128651771402.
- Bellos, J., Bakas, N. and Castiglioni C. (2017). Numerical Aspects of Incremental Dynamic Analysis for Retrofitting Existing Industrial Steel Building Utilizing SSCD Dampers. Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Rhodes, Greece.
- Bakas, N. and Bellos, J. (2017). Theoretical and Numerical Findings on the Redundant Torsional Stresses. Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Rhodes, Greece.
- Plevris, V., Bakas, N., Markesetand, G. and Bellos, J. (2017). Literature Review of Masonry Structures under Earthquake Excitation Utilizing Machine Learning Algorithms. Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Rhodes, Greece.