OBJECTIVE OF THE MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions
The Master of Science program in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions will be the first postgraduate program specifically focusing on the special issue of “Extreme Loading Conditions on Structures” in Cyprus, in the whole Eastern Mediterranean Region, and most probably in whole Europe. This topic is usually not specifically addressed in usual courses of civil/structural engineering, which, in general, focus on “common” loading conditions. Unfortunately, the recent past shows that such “extreme” loading conditions, due to environmental and/or anthropic causes, may not be disregarded during the design process of a building and, in particular, in the design of strategic structures and infrastructures that should remain operative during emergencies.
The curriculum of the MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions is designed to provide the necessary knowledge to students regarding the structural robustness for such extreme loading, taking into account various scenarios, as well as different types of buildings (housing, office, commercial and infrastructures), teaching how these extreme loading conditions should be handled, and how they might interact during a catastrophic event (a fire after an explosion, a fire after an earthquake, an explosion after an earthquake, etc.). The curriculum provides up-to-date knowledge in a number of different areas and covers multiple and essential subjects such as Structural Robustness and Risk Engineering and Risk Management. This will be achieved by specific lectures given by professional engineers as well as technicians from Civil Protection and/or Fire Department, who will present the specific issues and case studies. The lecturers are the world-renowned experts in their specific fields.
The MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions brings together theory and practice and includes exposure to the latest methods, procedures and techniques used in the field, as well as various technological solutions necessary for the purpose of designing robust structures, which might safely resist to extreme loading conditions, avoiding disproportioned collapse in case of an accidental event.
The MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions at the NUP is designed to provide students with the necessary knowledge for becoming experts in design of robust structures that will allow them to play a significant role in this sector in Cyprus and abroad.
The MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions Programme is offered in the English language.
The necessary supporting documents to be submitted with the application include:
- Officially authenticated certificates of academic qualifications of university level (degree etc.).
- The satisfactory knowledge of the English language is essential. The minimum requirement is the possession of a B1 level English language certificate of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or a degree of a corresponding level.
- By decision of the Director of the Postgraduate Studies of the Department, special exams or any other test may take place for those candidates who do not have a degree of the abovementioned level so that their ability to meet the standards of the Postgraduate Program is verified.
- Certificates of English Language and the minimum required grade
- After admission, by the decision of the Director of the Postgraduate Studies of the Department, students are likely to participate in additional English language courses in order to improve their ability to write their course work, written assignments and the dissertation.
- A statement of personal interest.
- Two reference letters, at least one of which should be of academic character.
TEACHING, LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT METHODS
The MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions Programme’s teaching methodology involves a combination of lectures, tutorials, seminars, examinations, projects, presentations, assignments, case-study applications and independent research. In addition, it is designed to provide an academic experience going beyond that of the traditional classroom, in which the flow of information is primarily from the instructor to the student. The intention of the MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions is that each participant will contribute to the education of the entire class though active participation in the learning procedure. This will establish the understanding that an MSc in Structural Robustness for Extreme Loading Conditions requires a holistic and interdisciplinary approach.
Each course is evaluated through the completion of one midterm assessment which is explicitly mentioned in the study curriculum and the study guides (group projects, presentations on specific topics, research papers, etc.) during the semester, and final examinations at the end of the semester. Should a student not attend the examination, or has failed to take a winter or spring semester examination, he or she is entitled to re-sit the examination.
Midterm assessment can take various forms as described earlier like group projects, presentations on specific topics, research papers, etc., during the semester and corresponds to 40% of the final grade, while the final exam is 60%. For the student to succeed in a course, he / she must take both on the final grade and the midterm assessment a grade of at least 50%. The interactivity and formative assessment form part of the learning and teaching methodology.
In the third semester students complete their Dissertation which corresponds to 30 ECTS. The length of the thesis cannot be less than 12,000 words and more than 15,000 words. The bibliography, the annexes and the abstract are not included. After submission, the supervisor submits a written and reasoned report, with the student’s consent, to the members of the committee. Support for the thesis is done publicly or via an electronic videoconference before a three-member committee.
ADVANTAGES OF THE PROGRAMME
- The international prestige and recognition of Neapolis University of Pafos.
- Excellent academic staff with strong expertise in the taught subjects.
- International collaborations with many Universities.
- The use of advanced technology and resources.
- High Academic Calibre of the teaching staff.
- Competitive tuition fees
The University reserves its right to define the electives offered on an academic year basis