Dr. Georgios Pavlidis is Associate Professor of International and EU Economic Law at the School of Law of Neapolis University in Cyprus. Since 2020, he is holder of a Jean Monnet Chair funded by the European Union (Project: “Tracing Criminal Assets in the European Union”). Before joining NUP, he has worked as academic assistant at the University of Geneva, the University of Piraeus and the International Hellenic University. He is attorney-at-law in Greece and graduate of the Law School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, with doctoral and postgraduate studies in Switzerland, France, the U.S. and the U.K. (Doctorat, LL.M., LL.M.). He has worked as evaluator in EU-funded programs (MSCA COFUND programs, EIT-HEI, etc.) and as external expert for consulting firms and law firms in the US, UK, Switzerland and Belgium and as national expert in the evaluation of EU instruments (tenders awarded by the EU Commission, DGJUST). He is a certified AML Compliance Officer (CySEC) and he participates as AML Expert in the Digital Currency Global Initiative (Stanford University/ITU), as well as in the Egmont Centre of FIU Excellence and Leadership (ECOFEL) in Canada.
Recent collaborations, consultancies and evaluations:
- Certified AML Compliance Officer, Securities and Exchange Commission of Cyprus
- External consultant, Oxford Analytica consulting firm, Oxford UK.
- External consultant, Spark Legal Network consulting firm, Brussels, Belgium.
- AML Expert, Digital Currency Global Initiative, Stanford University and ITU.
- AML Expert, Egmont Centre of FIU Excellence and Leadership, ECOFEL, Ottawa, Canada
- National Expert, European Commission (DG JUST), Study to support an implementation report of Directive (EU)2017/1371 on the fight against fraud to the Union’s financial interests by means of criminal law [DG JUST Τender]
- Evaluator, European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT), Higher Education Initiative: Innovation Capacity Building for Higher Education (HEI) [project funded by the EU]
- Evaluator, MFP Fellowships, MSCA COFUND Program, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Catalonia-Spain [project funded by the EU]
- Evaluator, UNA4CAREER Fellowships, MSCA COFUND Program, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain [project funded by the EU]
- Research Associate, University of Manchester & University of Geneva Joint Forum of Innovative Finance and Digital Governance.
- Research Associate, Fernuniversität in Hagen, Dimitris-Tsatsos-Institut für Europäische Verfassungswissenschaften, Study group on the European Constitutional process (based on the Chatham House model), Sub-group: Digitalization in the future of the EU
Recent conferences and workshops:
- University of York & Socio-Legal Studies Association, SLSA Annual Conference, 6-8 April 2022; title of my paper “The Criminal Masterminds of the Future: The Imagined Possibilities of Malevolent Artificial Intelligence with an Emphasis on Money Laundering”, 8 April 2022.
- University of Qatar, Conference: “Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goal 16”, 28 March 2022; title of my paper: “Artificial Intelligence and the Fight against Illicit Proceeds with a Focus on SDG16”, 28 March 2022.
- Ghent University, Conference: “Transnational Dispute Resolution in an Increasingly Digitalized World”, 24 March 2022; title of my paper: “Avenues for Embedding Digital Dispute Resolution in Digital Asset Transactions: Looking Beyond the UK Paradigm”
- University of Liège, U.C. Louvain, University of Bourgogne Franche-Comté, & International Association of Economic Law (A.I.D.E) Conference: “Emerging Countries at the Heart of Major Global Balances”, Brussels, 25 November 2021; title of my paper: “Dealing with a Sovereign Debt Pandemic in the Era of Deglobalization and Global Imbalances”.
- Bocconi University & the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL), Seventh Biennial SIEL Global Conference: “Rethinking Global Economic Governance”, Milan, 9 July 2021; title of my paper: “International Regulation of Stablecoins and Money Laundering”
- Asser Institute, Centre for International & European Law, CLEER, Conference on Informal Law-Making in EU External Relations Law, Amsterdam, 8 April 2021; title of my paper: “Revisiting the EU Policy on High-Risk Third Countries: Informal Arrangements and Synergies with the FATF Listing Process”
- University of Zurich/University of Geneva, 2nd Geneva-Zurich Seminar on Sustainable Finance, Zurich, 25 March 2021; title of my paper: “Digitalization and Standardization of Bonds: The Case of Extra-Financial Reporting”
- Stanford University/ITU, Digital Currency Global Initiative, Policy and Governance Working Group Webinar, 31 March 2021; title of my paper: “Regulation of Crypto-Currencies in Europe”
Recent publications: see Extended CV