Dr. Georgios Pavlidis is Associate Professor of International and EU Law at the School of Law of Neapolis University in Cyprus. He is holder of a UNESCO Chair (Project: “Human development, security and the fight against transnational crime”), as well as a Jean Monnet Chair funded by the European Union (Project: “Tracing Criminal Assets in the European Union”). He has obtained his PhD in Law from the University of Geneva, having completed his postgraduate studies in the US and the UK (LLM in International and Comparative Law, SMU Dallas, LLM in International Economic Law, University of Warwick). He has worked as evaluator in EU-funded programs (MSCA COFUND programs, EIT-HEI, etc.) and as external expert for consulting firms and law firms in the US, UK, France and Belgium and as national expert in the evaluation of EU instruments. He is a certified AML Compliance Officer (CySEC) and he has also obtained certifications in Project Management (IBM) and in Quality Assurance (Lean Six Sigma). He participates as AML Expert in the Digital Currency Global Initiative (Stanford University/ITU), the Managerial Committee of the COST Project «Globalization, Illicit Trade, Sustainability and Security» (funded by the EU), as well as in the Egmont Centre of FIU Excellence and Leadership (ECOFEL) in Canada. He has written more than 50 journal articles and book chapters in English, French and Spanish in the field of anti-money laundering (AML), the regulation of financial markets, digital finance, and the deployment of AI in these fields.
Recent collaborations, consultancies, and evaluations:
- External consultant, Spark Legal & Policy Consulting, consulting firm, Brussels, Belgium.
- External consultant, Kantar consulting firm, Brussels, Belgium.
- External consultant, Global Approach Consulting Group (GAC) consulting firm, France.
- External consultant, Oxford Analytica consulting firm, Oxford UK.
- AML Expert, Digital Currency Global Initiative, Stanford University and ITU.
- AML Expert, Egmont Centre of FIU Excellence and Leadership, ECOFEL, Ottawa, Canada
- Certified AML Compliance Officer, Securities and Exchange Commission of Cyprus
- AML National Expert, European Commission (DG JUST), Study to support an implementation report of Directive (EU)2017/1371 on the fight against fraud to the Union’s financial interests by means of criminal law [DG JUST Τender]
- AML National Expert, RECOVER: Mutual recognition of freezing and confiscation orders between efficiency and the rule of law, University of Catania & Humboldt University of Berlin (project funded by the EU)
- AML Consultant & EU Sanctions Consultant, Kaimakliotis LLC Law Firm, Larnaca, Cyrpus
- Strategic Advisor, Laboratory for Research on Security Risks, NBU, Bulgaria.
- Member, EU Artificial Intelligence Alliance [European Commission’s initiative]
- Research Associate/Member of the Management Committee, European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST Program), Project: «Globalization, Illicit Trade, Sustainability and Security» [funded by the EU]
- Research Associate, University of Manchester & University of Geneva, Joint Forum of Innovative Finance and Digital Governance
- Research Associate, Fernuniversität in Hagen, Dimitris-Tsatsos-Institut für Europäische Verfassungswissenschaften, Study group on the European Constitutional process (based on the Chatham House model), Sub-group: Digitalization in the future of the EU
- Core Team Member/Coordinator for Work Package 2, Erasmus+ KA220 Program “Empowering Europeans Towards a Media-Savvy Citizenry” [funded by the EU]
- Research Associate/Program Ambassador, NGI Enrichers Transatlantic Fellowship Program [funded by the EU under the Horizon Program]
- Contributor (by invitation), Financial Regulation (FinReg) Blog of the Duke Financial Economics Center, Duke University (USA).
- Evaluator, UNA4CAREER Fellowships, Marie Skłodowska-Curie COFUND Program, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain [project funded by the EU]
- Evaluator, MFP Fellowships, Marie Skłodowska-Curie COFUND Program, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Catalonia-Spain [project funded by the EU]
- Evaluator, COST Actions (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) [project funded by the EU]
- Evaluator, NGI Enrichers Transatlantic Fellowships [project supported by the EU]
- Evaluator, Research Council of Lithuania, RCL Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
- Evaluator, European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT), Higher Education Initiative: Innovation Capacity Building for Higher Education [project funded by the EU]
Recent publications: see full-text in ResearchGate & Academia.edu